September 27, 2020
Michaelmas (pronounced Mickel-mas) - the Feast of the Archangels, also known as the Feast of Saints Michael, Gabriel & Raphael or the Feast of Saint Michael and All Angels. Here are some fun facts to help you celebrate this feast day!
- God created the hierarchy of angels at the beginning of time.
- The angels contemplate God night and day and communicate his will to mankind.
- Angels are not corporeal beings, which means they don't have bodies like us. They are neither male nor female, they do not have parents, and we do not know what they look like! Artists draw angels from their imagination.
- All three archangel's names en in "el" which signifies "God". This shows their deep connection to their creator.
- St. Michael fought against Lucifer and the fallen angels. He also defends the friends of God. His name means "Who is like God?"
- St. Gabriel announced the coming of Jesus to the Virgin Mary and the coming of John the Baptist to Zachariah. His name means "Power of God".
- St. Raphael takes care of Tobias on his journey in the book of Tobit. His name means "Medicine of God" or "God heals".